Basic SEO Techniques Crouch End :
A few basic SEO techniques:
- View Google’s cache to see your page the way a search engine sees it. If you can’t see an element of the page in the cache, the search engines can’t see it either! This means that content isn’t gaining you any search traffic.
- Be sure your page is reachable. Crawlers don’t perform searches, they travel by links. This means your page has to be viewable by clicking on a link on another page or crawlers won’t see it and it won’t be searchable.
- Be sure you don’t have metaframes preventing your page from being crawled. Many Crouch End webmasters use metaframes to prevent rogue bots from crawling their page and don’t realize that these metaframes will also prevent search bots from crawling their pages!
- Don’t let your links get lost in a sea of links. Pages with hundreds or thousands of links may not get crawled thoroughly in order to prevent spam and skewed rankings.
- Use specific keywords. General keywords will have lots of competition. By using more specific keywords, a webmaster can reduce competition and increase rankings.
- Don’t abuse keywords. Use your keywords in natural speech. Optimize your page for one or two specific keywords that searchers might use when looking for information available on your page. Be sure your keywords are relevant to your content.
- Don’t use keywords in link anchor text pointing to other pages on your site. (This is known as commiting keyword cannibalization.)
- Be sure your keywords are plain text HTML. Add ALT text for images, transcripts for videos and audio clips, and put captions with java or flash plugins or images. Although crawlers are improving, many are unable to process anything besides plain text.
Be Aware of User Experience
Increasing the usability, accuracy, and visual design of the website will also increase your search metrics. Search engines use search metrics and backlinks to determine the popularity and user-friendliness of your page. These factors play an important role in SEO. Always seek to create content that is pleasing for your reader.
Search Engines use Engagement Metrics to determine user satisfaction. Time spent on a search result means the user found the result much more helpful than a user who immediately hits the back button to look for another search.
The Panda update allows google to use machine learning to rank websites on quality and user friendliness. In 2011, human evaluators ranked thousands of websites based on quality and then implemented machine learning that mimicked those evaluators. This update changed more than 20% of search results.
Things to consider when selecting keywords:
- The Keyword’s relevance to your page. Will the people using that keyword in searches be satisfied with the content on your page?
- The Keyword’s specificity. Would a narrower keyword or keyphrase attract an audience that is more interested in your content than the audience of the broader term? On the other hand, is your keyword so specific it won’t be searched?
- The Competition on that keyword. Can you compete with the current top ranked websites for your keyword?
Where to Put Keywords:
- In the Title: as close to the beginning as you can put it
- At the Top of the Page
- Several times throughout the body of the page
- At least once in the ALT text
- In the URL
- In the Summary or Meta description tag
Optimizing Title Tags:
- Titles should be between 45 and 55 characters long. Titles that exceed 55 characters in length may not show properly in google searches.
- Keywords should be placed near the beginning of the title
- Consider putting your brandname at the end of the title
- Don’t sacrifice readability and emotional impact for keyword optimization
Visit https://moz.com/learn/seo/title-tag to see how the title and summary of your page would show up in a google search.
- Keep them short
- Be sure your reader has an idea of what he will find on the page when reads the URL
- Use plain text links
- Use hyphens to separate words
- Use keywords
How Links to your Page Effect your SEO
- Are a wide variety of websites created by a wide variety of webmasters on a wide variety of topics linking to your site?
- Are many sites on similar topics linking to your site?
- Are the ranking sites for your keywords linking to your site?
- Are sites linking to your page using your keywords in anchor text to link to your site? (Anchor text is the blue text that shows on a webpage instead of the URL to the link)
- Are you getting links from trusted sources?
- Have you refrained from linking to spammy or poor quality websites and websites that link to your page?
- Have you been accruing new links?
- Is your page being shared on social media?
If you can answer yes to the eight questions above, links to your content are doing their job and helping increase your rankings. If you can’t answer yes to each question, devise strategies to remedy your answer.
Creating good, quality content that related pages will naturally link to is one of the best ways to get links. Another great way, is through Manual Outreach. Don’t under estimate the traffic that a well placed link can generate itself. Target specific websites who cater to similar audiences, preferably websites with few links, high credibility and high rankings for your keywords, and invite them to link to your page. Be sure to explain how linking to your page is a benefit for them, and not just an act of charity for you. You may also use this tool to see your competitors’ backlinks. Finding sites who have linked to the top ranked sites for your keyword gives you a list of sites that whose links would be of value to you. Avoid self-created links on lower quality websites. While they may help rankings a little bit, they may also hurt your rankings. If you pursue this option, proceed with caution.
Search Engine Webmaster SEO advice
SEO advice from the major search engine webmasters includes:
- Be sure all pages can be reached by static, plain-text links. (Links of the form: , as opposed to links buried in images, java or flash.) These links are easier for crawlers to find.
- Don’t “cloak” your work, or try to present different content to the search engine than you present to the user. Make sure your page is optimized to be found by a search engine when a user searches a relevant query. Don’t try to cheat the crawler’s and their index.
- Use accurate, descriptive, clear language with appropriate keywords in your titles, subtitles and ALT text. (ALT text is text that appears when an image cannot be displayed.) On hubpages, photo captions are ALT text and are therefore an extremely important part of search engine optimization.
- Create content filled with relevant keywords.
Check for Errors
To check for crawl errors see Google’s Webmaster Tools.
SEO Is Dead. Audience Optimization Is Taking Its Place
In 2014, the new Top Level Domains (TLDs) were introduced to much fanfare from the press and tech bloggers. New web address endings were touted as a land rush on the internet and a game changer for marketing strategies. Despite such pronouncements, new TLDs were largely ignored in 2014, leaving some to expect an explosion in activity in 2015. However, before business owners run off to build new sites with fancy new names, it's important to separate fact from fiction regarding TLDs and to ask the question, "Will the new TLDs matter to marketers and consumers in 2015?".
As a brief primer, Top Level Domains are the endings to websites such as .com, .edu, .gov, etc. In the past, these were all handled by the ICANN, but in 2014, the door was opened for entrepreneurs to create their own TLDs that they can control on their own. So now, there are essentially an endless amount of TLDs. Business owners could pay to can have their site end with things like .xyz, .toys, .soy, .wed, and more. Nearly 4 million web sites around the world use one of the newly created TLD.
There have been many different Top Level Domains for website owners to choose from before the introduction of the new TLDs and research has shown that they work in a general sense. People know that the various country TLDs can be used to find information from a certain region of the world. Consumers generally know that .fr is for pages in France and that .ca is for Canada. However, it's not perfect, a study from Moz suggests that nearly 25 percent of Americans can be tricked into thinking that .ca is for California; so they knew that the TLD was for a region, but guessed the wrong region.
Similarly, people know that a .tv site will be about a television show, .edu is for schools, that .org pages tend to be for non-profits. The .edu and .org are the two TLDs that carry the most meaning for consumers. Searchers know that .edu resources will be more reliable since they are from schools and not from businesses. And people associate .org with organizations, groups or non profits with goals other than profit. Many people don't realize that .com itself is short for "commercial" which was chosen in the early days of the internet to identify the sites that weren't the traditional school or government based web pages that first populated the nascent world wide web.
The challenge for these new TLDs is that though people can use them to quickly understand the purpose of a site, consumers don't inherently trust sites with unusual TLDs more than ones with more traditional endings. In fact, having a vanity TLD immediately indicates that this a new site which puts the site at a disadvantage when compared to sites that have been serving customers from a .com web address for years. This is why older alternative TLDs like .biz or .info never really took off.
When NPR followed up with some of the creators of the new TLDs at the end of 2014, they found that adoption has been incredibly slow. The TLD that is doing the best so far is .xyz and even that is based on a large buy from a third party that gave a free year of .xyz registration to their clients or from people who bought .xyz domains to squat on them. A better indicator will come at the end of 2015 when we see how many people who squatted or received their new TLD domain for free decide its worth it to continue paying for it.
The international study from Moz asked users if, based solely on the domain name, they were more likely to trust an insurance quote from a website ending in .insurance. 62 percent of Americans, 53 percent of Australians, and 67 percent of marketers said they were unlikely to trust the quote based on the domain alone.
And despite what people who are trying to sell TLDs may say, when it comes to TLDs and SEO, TLDs offer no intrinsic value to improve SEO. The algorithms for search engines don't include these new TLDs as a ranking factor. These domains will show up in a generic search for a keyword and people can search by TLD extension if they want to. If TLDs become more popular, they may become ranking factors in the future (though Google says they doubt it), but for now, they are treated no differently.
Google's John Mueller recently reposted comments the company made earlier in 2014 to reiterate their position on TLD and search.
"It feels like it's time to reshare this again. There still is no inherent ranking advantage to using the new TLDs," Mueller wrote on Google+ before sharing a postfrom Matt Cutts on the subject. "They can perform well in search, just like any other TLD can perform well in search. They give you an opportunity to pick a name that better matches your web-presence. If you see posts claiming that early data suggests they're doing well, keep in mind that this is not due to any artificial advantage in search: you can make a fantastic website that performs well in search on any TLD."
The sheer amount of TLDs available also undermines one of the reasons some thought they would be so popular. When there so many TLDs to choose from, it's not as effective for squatters to try and wrap of domains with the intent of selling them later. It's not the same as in the early days of the internet. Back then, if someone had the .com you wanted, there was nothing you can do but pay them or get a different name. Now, marketers can just move to a different TLD. The introduction of these new TLDs have created so much internet real estate, it's impractical for one person to try to lock up domains they don't intend to use.
There are a lot of good reasons why business owners may want to create a site using one of the new TLDs, but it's important to be clear about what the benefits are and what is just hype. It's undeniable that business can get domain names using the new TLDs that are unavailable for older extensions. Some states are introducing TLDs for businesses in their state. So BillsGarage.com may be taken, but BillsGarage.NYC may be up for grabs.
However, other than the benefit of giving marketers more options when deciding on domain names, TLDs don't offer any intrinsic benefit to business. As the research from Moz and comments from experts at Google have shown, TLDs have no advantage over .com when it comes to customer trust and SEO visibility.
Given the challenges facing TLD adoption, it's unlikely that TLDs will make a huge marketing impact in 2015 unless there is some sort of game changing development. If you want to use one of the new TLDs to build a site with an easy-to-remember name, you won't be disappointed, but don't expect new domain endings to perform some kind of marketing magic in the coming year.
You Have Two Cats: 5 Common Components of Digital Marketing
Get Paid To Write Articles Online
If you learn and improve your Search Engine Optimization then you have found the secret to getting your articles, websites and blogs read by more people.
You can then make money writing online from Google Adsense Ads
It takes time and a lot of hard work to know how to get organic traffic to your websites and blogs.
The more traffic and readers you get then the more money you will make writing online.
Once you are a good writer you really only need to learn how to optimize your chances of getting to the Google first page.and other search engines
How often do you go beyond the first page of a search engine when looking for information on blogs and websites. I very rarely do.
Rules and Tips of Google and SEO
With the internet writers have now been given the chance to showcase their writing to millions of people all over the world.
If the writer is prepared to learn and follow a few basic internet rules then it is possible for them to join the growing number of writers who earn money writing articles online.
How to get ranked higher in the search engine pages.
The top three websites on Google’s first page are the most clicked on and read so this is where you want your article to be.
How to Improve the Ranking of your Articles on Google Search Engine
- The first paragraph in your article is important to get right
- Whatever your keywords are they should be in your url and title.
- These same keywords, but not exactly in the same sentence should also be in your first paragraph.
The first fifty words of this paragraph are all that Google and other search engines will see when evaluating your words for SEO.
Keyword Search Tool
Write with Search Engine Optimization SEO in mind
It can be hard sometimes to include all the keywords without your article looking like it is repeating itself.
With practice this can be achieved.
Pick two or three main keywords and use your keyword tool to see how good they are. This will be in the form of Monthly Global Searches and how much is paid.
Sometimes it is better to use a Keyword Phrase that has less searches. This is because that also means less competition.
Let's say you want to write an article about making money writing online
Go to your Keyword Tool and type in Writing Online
Writing Online - 704 monthly searches - CPC - $4.65
Writing Jobs Online - 1560 monthly searches - CPC - $1.37
Online Writing Jobs - 4320 monthly searches - CPC - $1.35
Online Writing Classes - 560 monthly searches - CPC - $12.18
Writing Classes Online - 468 monthly searches - CPC - $17.52
So now you can see what keywords to use. Do you go for the most searched keywords with more competition and less CPC or the less searches but higher CPC.
It is up to you but because you did your research before you wrote your article you now have a much better chance of getting higher onto the search engines and read more.
How To Use Keywords in your Articles
Then to let Google know what keywords you are targeting always give them a boost and make them stand out.
This is achieved by putting the Main Keyword or Phrase in a sentence in your Title and in your URL. This is a must if you are to improve Search Engine Optimization for your article.
The first paragraph of your article is next. Put the same keywords in the Heading of the first paragraph. In the next 50 words put in the lesser keywords too. But this must be done in a clever way. You should not copy the exact phrase. Write it within your sentences so that it naturally flows. You do not want to alienate your reader or Google for that matter
Google changes the rules all the time so you have to be aware that some SEO Tips can be out of date.
Putting your keyword phrase in the heading of the very last paragraph was also always a must. Some SEO experts now say this is not necessary. But I would recommend you do it anyway.
Writing the Best Article
If you satisfy the reader that your article is interesting, easy and clear to read then you have captured your audience.
So that they can see if this article is indeed what they want to read you must pique their interest immediately. They arrived at your article because they did a search for that particular subject. It is your job to keep them there.
If this is a How to article like How to change a plug, How to write the perfect CV etc then explain in the first paragraph exactly how you are going to do this.
Writing style is also extremely important.
The typical reader who searches for information on a particular subject is not an expert in this field.
Satisfy both the reader and Google and you optimize your chances of earning money from writing articles online
Writing Style is Important
Who are your targeted readers?
Each subject you write about requires a different style of approach.
How to Articles
Visitors to your site want to able to read the information in your article without having to go to a dictionary to look up the terms you use.
Clear, precise and non technical language is what they want to read if it is a How To article.
History and Political
Articles on history and politics can die a death very quickly unless you make it touch a nerve with the reader.
Make them curious, sympathetic or outraged about the subject, it does not matter as long as you stir their emotions
Health and living style articles need the facts to be correct, informative and easy to understand.
If the reader is looking up articles about cancer, different types of mental illness, healthy living, diets etc then they do not want to read the facts as they are written in a medical dictionary.
The facts are extremely important with this type of article but you need to make the reader feel they are talking to a knowledgeable friend and not their doctor.
Always where possible include links for support groups on the subject. There a numerous websites both Government and community for these health issues.
Writing for a Global Market
And remember that you are writing for the world market when you write online so include the websites of as many of the major countries as possible.
The reader will know they have landed on the correct article and therefore stay with you.
Increase your Ranking on the Search Engines
The last paragraph in your article is also important to get right
There are rules for the last paragraph in your article that should be followed too in order to increase your chances of a high ranking on the search engines.
This last paragraph should include all the keywords you have used in your first paragraph.
Any good information article will have a summary of the points that were discussed in the body of the article. So you will be able to use the keywords there.
Make it read as natural as possible in this summing up paragraph.
Search Engine Optimization SEO
Once you know the rules of SEO and follow them you will optimize your chances of readers finding your articles.
The more readers you have gives you a better chance that they will click on the Google Adsense Ads on your web page.
One of the best ways of making money online is by writing articles that get to the first page of the search engines
Improve Your Search Engine Optimization
Then by making your articles, short stories, poetry and blog posts interesting and informative you will keep the reader with you. They will know they have landed on the correct article and therefore stay with you.
More readers who see your articles means you have a better chance of more clicks on your Google Adsense ads.
It is when they decide to click on the adverts on your page from Google adverts that you earn money writing online.
All Images are the copyright of L.M.Reid