Basic SEO Techniques Barnes :
A few basic SEO techniques:
- View Google’s cache to see your page the way a search engine sees it. If you can’t see an element of the page in the cache, the search engines can’t see it either! This means that content isn’t gaining you any search traffic.
- Be sure your page is reachable. Crawlers don’t perform searches, they travel by links. This means your page has to be viewable by clicking on a link on another page or crawlers won’t see it and it won’t be searchable.
- Be sure you don’t have metaframes preventing your page from being crawled. Many Barnes webmasters use metaframes to prevent rogue bots from crawling their page and don’t realize that these metaframes will also prevent search bots from crawling their pages!
- Don’t let your links get lost in a sea of links. Pages with hundreds or thousands of links may not get crawled thoroughly in order to prevent spam and skewed rankings.
- Use specific keywords. General keywords will have lots of competition. By using more specific keywords, a webmaster can reduce competition and increase rankings.
- Don’t abuse keywords. Use your keywords in natural speech. Optimize your page for one or two specific keywords that searchers might use when looking for information available on your page. Be sure your keywords are relevant to your content.
- Don’t use keywords in link anchor text pointing to other pages on your site. (This is known as commiting keyword cannibalization.)
- Be sure your keywords are plain text HTML. Add ALT text for images, transcripts for videos and audio clips, and put captions with java or flash plugins or images. Although crawlers are improving, many are unable to process anything besides plain text.
Be Aware of User Experience
Increasing the usability, accuracy, and visual design of the website will also increase your search metrics. Search engines use search metrics and backlinks to determine the popularity and user-friendliness of your page. These factors play an important role in SEO. Always seek to create content that is pleasing for your reader.
Search Engines use Engagement Metrics to determine user satisfaction. Time spent on a search result means the user found the result much more helpful than a user who immediately hits the back button to look for another search.
The Panda update allows google to use machine learning to rank websites on quality and user friendliness. In 2011, human evaluators ranked thousands of websites based on quality and then implemented machine learning that mimicked those evaluators. This update changed more than 20% of search results.
Things to consider when selecting keywords:
- The Keyword’s relevance to your page. Will the people using that keyword in searches be satisfied with the content on your page?
- The Keyword’s specificity. Would a narrower keyword or keyphrase attract an audience that is more interested in your content than the audience of the broader term? On the other hand, is your keyword so specific it won’t be searched?
- The Competition on that keyword. Can you compete with the current top ranked websites for your keyword?
Where to Put Keywords:
- In the Title: as close to the beginning as you can put it
- At the Top of the Page
- Several times throughout the body of the page
- At least once in the ALT text
- In the URL
- In the Summary or Meta description tag
Optimizing Title Tags:
- Titles should be between 45 and 55 characters long. Titles that exceed 55 characters in length may not show properly in google searches.
- Keywords should be placed near the beginning of the title
- Consider putting your brandname at the end of the title
- Don’t sacrifice readability and emotional impact for keyword optimization
Visit https://moz.com/learn/seo/title-tag to see how the title and summary of your page would show up in a google search.
- Keep them short
- Be sure your reader has an idea of what he will find on the page when reads the URL
- Use plain text links
- Use hyphens to separate words
- Use keywords
How Links to your Page Effect your SEO
- Are a wide variety of websites created by a wide variety of webmasters on a wide variety of topics linking to your site?
- Are many sites on similar topics linking to your site?
- Are the ranking sites for your keywords linking to your site?
- Are sites linking to your page using your keywords in anchor text to link to your site? (Anchor text is the blue text that shows on a webpage instead of the URL to the link)
- Are you getting links from trusted sources?
- Have you refrained from linking to spammy or poor quality websites and websites that link to your page?
- Have you been accruing new links?
- Is your page being shared on social media?
If you can answer yes to the eight questions above, links to your content are doing their job and helping increase your rankings. If you can’t answer yes to each question, devise strategies to remedy your answer.
Creating good, quality content that related pages will naturally link to is one of the best ways to get links. Another great way, is through Manual Outreach. Don’t under estimate the traffic that a well placed link can generate itself. Target specific websites who cater to similar audiences, preferably websites with few links, high credibility and high rankings for your keywords, and invite them to link to your page. Be sure to explain how linking to your page is a benefit for them, and not just an act of charity for you. You may also use this tool to see your competitors’ backlinks. Finding sites who have linked to the top ranked sites for your keyword gives you a list of sites that whose links would be of value to you. Avoid self-created links on lower quality websites. While they may help rankings a little bit, they may also hurt your rankings. If you pursue this option, proceed with caution.
Search Engine Webmaster SEO advice
SEO advice from the major search engine webmasters includes:
- Be sure all pages can be reached by static, plain-text links. (Links of the form: , as opposed to links buried in images, java or flash.) These links are easier for crawlers to find.
- Don’t “cloak” your work, or try to present different content to the search engine than you present to the user. Make sure your page is optimized to be found by a search engine when a user searches a relevant query. Don’t try to cheat the crawler’s and their index.
- Use accurate, descriptive, clear language with appropriate keywords in your titles, subtitles and ALT text. (ALT text is text that appears when an image cannot be displayed.) On hubpages, photo captions are ALT text and are therefore an extremely important part of search engine optimization.
- Create content filled with relevant keywords.
Check for Errors
To check for crawl errors see Google’s Webmaster Tools.
Search Engine Optimization: Backlinks & How to Create Them
SEO is constantly changing. It's changing because Google wants to improve the user experience. This past January, a core algorithm update was quietly implemented. It's now March and people are still not quite sure what this update did and how it's going to alter the SEO landscape.
It made me think about how SEO has changed and how it will continue to change going forward. I approached Scott Cohen, the CEO of 180Fusion, to talk about this issue.
AJ: Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to speak to me. Before we launch into SEO, could you tell my readers about what 180Fusion does?
Cohen: 180Fusion is the leader in performance driven digital marketing that specializes in helping companies increase sales by driving online traffic in a profitable way. The platform and services support all aspects of SEO/ SEM, including local SEO, content marketing, PPC, and Enterprise SEO campaigns. Our goal is to help our clients go from being "in business" to "succeeding in business online."
AJ: To start with, what do you think is the general trend hitting SEO today?
Cohen: I think the trend is exactly the same as it has been for some years. Google wants its results to reflect relativity and genuine popularity. First of all, if you are not opting for completely white hat SEO techniques, you are making a massive mistake. Even if you are using grey hat techniques, Google is going to catch up with you one day.
But genuine popularity is the key. If you can produce content that people actually want to read, as opposed to just generating a link, then you are going to achieve incredible success.
AJ: You mentioned relativity. What do you mean when you say 'relative'?
Cohen: Relativity has changed. Previously, it was about making sure that you are being ranked for the right keywords. Google has made it practically impossible not to rank in the correct category because their technology has come so far.
Relativity is about laser targeting your audience through using long-tail keywords. Over half of searchers are using search strings that are more than four words to get the right results.
It goes further than simply using long-tail keywords. Local SEO has become prominent because of Google's habit of providing personalized search results. This means that two people can search for entirely the same thing, but get two sets of results based on their geographical location. There's also the potential for hyperlocal SEO to become a thing as Google's algorithms become more accurate.
AJ: Moving on to the mobile revolution, this can be quite confusing for people who are new to the SEO arena. How would you make sense of this?
Cohen: I would say the newcomer to the field needs to keep in mind that they absolutely have to be optimized for mobile searches. The customer experience is the most important thing here. Take this statistic as an example: 55% of customers would pay more for a guaranteed good experience.
You can give them that good experience without them having to pay more. Responsive design is a must because it impacts the user experience directly. It's why Google has used the Mobilegeddon thing to penalize websites that don't cater to mobile users.
You should go even further in catering to mobile users by creating content specifically to them. This is what I mean by relativity in SEO. The way people access the Internet is changing.
AJ: What would you say the state of content marketing is?
Cohen: The state of content marketing is always an interesting subject because there are always groups who say that it's dying or already dead. I smile because every year content marketing is stronger than ever before. As the saying goes, content is king because users crave good quality content. Despite the importance of social media, there's still room for long-form content.
If you are answering commonly asked questions and directly addressing the issues of users, you are going to win in the SEO race.
Google has said many times that it wants companies to cater directly to the needs of users not SEO. Companies that have heeded these words have been rewarded by Google. By creating relevant content on a consistent basis that customers actually want to read, they have seen their rankings skyrocket.
It can take some time to build up a solid content marketing base, but when you do you are in a great position for success.
AJ: I would like to thank you for taking the time to speak to my readers today about the direction SEO is moving in.
List of Search Engines for Search Engine Optimization Tips
Get Paid To Write Articles Online
If you learn and improve your Search Engine Optimization then you have found the secret to getting your articles, websites and blogs read by more people.
You can then make money writing online from Google Adsense Ads
It takes time and a lot of hard work to know how to get organic traffic to your websites and blogs.
The more traffic and readers you get then the more money you will make writing online.
Once you are a good writer you really only need to learn how to optimize your chances of getting to the Google first page.and other search engines
How often do you go beyond the first page of a search engine when looking for information on blogs and websites. I very rarely do.
Rules and Tips of Google and SEO
With the internet writers have now been given the chance to showcase their writing to millions of people all over the world.
If the writer is prepared to learn and follow a few basic internet rules then it is possible for them to join the growing number of writers who earn money writing articles online.
How to get ranked higher in the search engine pages.
The top three websites on Google’s first page are the most clicked on and read so this is where you want your article to be.
How to Improve the Ranking of your Articles on Google Search Engine
- The first paragraph in your article is important to get right
- Whatever your keywords are they should be in your url and title.
- These same keywords, but not exactly in the same sentence should also be in your first paragraph.
The first fifty words of this paragraph are all that Google and other search engines will see when evaluating your words for SEO.
Keyword Search Tool
Write with Search Engine Optimization SEO in mind
It can be hard sometimes to include all the keywords without your article looking like it is repeating itself.
With practice this can be achieved.
Pick two or three main keywords and use your keyword tool to see how good they are. This will be in the form of Monthly Global Searches and how much is paid.
Sometimes it is better to use a Keyword Phrase that has less searches. This is because that also means less competition.
Let's say you want to write an article about making money writing online
Go to your Keyword Tool and type in Writing Online
Writing Online - 704 monthly searches - CPC - $4.65
Writing Jobs Online - 1560 monthly searches - CPC - $1.37
Online Writing Jobs - 4320 monthly searches - CPC - $1.35
Online Writing Classes - 560 monthly searches - CPC - $12.18
Writing Classes Online - 468 monthly searches - CPC - $17.52
So now you can see what keywords to use. Do you go for the most searched keywords with more competition and less CPC or the less searches but higher CPC.
It is up to you but because you did your research before you wrote your article you now have a much better chance of getting higher onto the search engines and read more.
How To Use Keywords in your Articles
Then to let Google know what keywords you are targeting always give them a boost and make them stand out.
This is achieved by putting the Main Keyword or Phrase in a sentence in your Title and in your URL. This is a must if you are to improve Search Engine Optimization for your article.
The first paragraph of your article is next. Put the same keywords in the Heading of the first paragraph. In the next 50 words put in the lesser keywords too. But this must be done in a clever way. You should not copy the exact phrase. Write it within your sentences so that it naturally flows. You do not want to alienate your reader or Google for that matter
Google changes the rules all the time so you have to be aware that some SEO Tips can be out of date.
Putting your keyword phrase in the heading of the very last paragraph was also always a must. Some SEO experts now say this is not necessary. But I would recommend you do it anyway.
Writing the Best Article
If you satisfy the reader that your article is interesting, easy and clear to read then you have captured your audience.
So that they can see if this article is indeed what they want to read you must pique their interest immediately. They arrived at your article because they did a search for that particular subject. It is your job to keep them there.
If this is a How to article like How to change a plug, How to write the perfect CV etc then explain in the first paragraph exactly how you are going to do this.
Writing style is also extremely important.
The typical reader who searches for information on a particular subject is not an expert in this field.
Satisfy both the reader and Google and you optimize your chances of earning money from writing articles online
Writing Style is Important
Who are your targeted readers?
Each subject you write about requires a different style of approach.
How to Articles
Visitors to your site want to able to read the information in your article without having to go to a dictionary to look up the terms you use.
Clear, precise and non technical language is what they want to read if it is a How To article.
History and Political
Articles on history and politics can die a death very quickly unless you make it touch a nerve with the reader.
Make them curious, sympathetic or outraged about the subject, it does not matter as long as you stir their emotions
Health and living style articles need the facts to be correct, informative and easy to understand.
If the reader is looking up articles about cancer, different types of mental illness, healthy living, diets etc then they do not want to read the facts as they are written in a medical dictionary.
The facts are extremely important with this type of article but you need to make the reader feel they are talking to a knowledgeable friend and not their doctor.
Always where possible include links for support groups on the subject. There a numerous websites both Government and community for these health issues.
Writing for a Global Market
And remember that you are writing for the world market when you write online so include the websites of as many of the major countries as possible.
The reader will know they have landed on the correct article and therefore stay with you.
Increase your Ranking on the Search Engines
The last paragraph in your article is also important to get right
There are rules for the last paragraph in your article that should be followed too in order to increase your chances of a high ranking on the search engines.
This last paragraph should include all the keywords you have used in your first paragraph.
Any good information article will have a summary of the points that were discussed in the body of the article. So you will be able to use the keywords there.
Make it read as natural as possible in this summing up paragraph.
Search Engine Optimization SEO
Once you know the rules of SEO and follow them you will optimize your chances of readers finding your articles.
The more readers you have gives you a better chance that they will click on the Google Adsense Ads on your web page.
One of the best ways of making money online is by writing articles that get to the first page of the search engines
Improve Your Search Engine Optimization
Then by making your articles, short stories, poetry and blog posts interesting and informative you will keep the reader with you. They will know they have landed on the correct article and therefore stay with you.
More readers who see your articles means you have a better chance of more clicks on your Google Adsense ads.
It is when they decide to click on the adverts on your page from Google adverts that you earn money writing online.
All Images are the copyright of L.M.Reid